With the passage
of time, a few Sikh principalities lapsed to the British Government. Ladwa
was lapsed to the British Government in 1846.; Kaithal in 1849 whereas Thanesar(only
a part)was got by the British in 1850.The British Government organised these
lapsed territories into the Thanesar district in 1849. The district was broken
up in 1862 and the area distributed into two districts, Karnal and Ambala.
The parganas of Guhla, Pehowa, Kaithal, Indri and a part of Thanesar were
included in Karnal district and remainder was allotted to Ambala district
. In 1866, Pehowa pargana was transferred from Karnal to Ambala district.
It was transferred back to Karnal district (14 villages in 1875 and remaining
89 in 1888) and included in the Kaithal tahsil. The headquarters of Pipli
tahsil were shifted to Thanesar in 1897.
district was formed with Thanesar and Kaithal tahsils by bifurcating the Karnal
district as on January 23, 1973. During November, 1989, some new districts(Panipat,
Rewari, Yamuna Nagar and Kaithal ) were raised .In that re-organization the
territories of Kurukshtra district were also varied to some extent. Radaur
block of Kurukshetra district was included in Yamuna Nagar district; Kaithal
and Guhla tahsils (taken from Kurukshetra district ) were included in the
Kaithal district which was formed on 1st November, 1989. At that time Pehowa
was made as sub-division. The administrative position of the district as on
December 31, 1990, is as under:- The district had 2 sub-divisions (Thanesar
and Pehowa); 2 tahsils (Thanesar and Pehowa); 2 sub-tahsils (Shahbad and Ladwa).