the Phulkian States Gazetteer (Patiala, Jind and Nabha),1904, Charkhi Dadri
town was formerly in the possession of Nawab Bahadur Jang, a relative of Jhajjar
Nawab.In the action of 1857, the estates of the Nawab of Charkhi Dadri were
escheated and he was slain by the British in Delhi. The Dadri area (1, 554
sq. kilometres) was first included in the newly created district of Jhajjar,
which was abolished in 1860 and the area was assigned to the Phulkian chiefs
as a reward for their services to the British in the war of Independence (1857).
Dadri was conferred on Raja Sarup Singh of Jind. Till 1904, Dadri was a tahsil
of the Jind Nizamat. In that year Dadri was made into a separate district1.
On May 5, 1948, the Dadri area was included into Mahendragarh district. The
district of Bhiwani comprising the Charkhi Dadri, Loharu, Bhiwani and Bawani
Khera tahsils, with the headquarters at Bhiwani, was created on December 22,
1972, by varying the areas of Mahendragarh and Hissar districts so as to exclude
the areas of Charkhi Dadri tahsil of Mahendragarh district and Loharu, Bhiwani
and Bawani Khera tahsils of Hissar district2.
On March 31, 1977, the
district had the following villages:
1. Bhiwani 125
2. Bawani Khera 58
3. Charkhi Dadri 172
4. Loharu 119 Total: 474
Tosham tahsil was created as on November 1, 1989. By the end (December 31,
1990), the district had 6 tahsils (Bhiwani, Bawani Khera, Tosham, Loharu,
Charkhi Dadri and Siwani) and 4 sub-divisions (Bhiwani, Loharu, Charkhi Dadri
and Siwani). Badra was given a status of sub-tahsil.